The meeting was called to order at 11:45 AM.
The meeting agenda was presented and accepted without change.
- We discussed a donation from the Inland Empire APA Chapter; we expect them to be sending money soon to help with conference funds.
o The question was raised as to whether or not the chapter officially recognizes Amy as their new rep from our ASP because their elections are held in July. However, they have a new rep as well, so she did not know the answer to that question.
- Chris and Will want to hold re-votes for their positions – Chris thinks that an undergrad should hold a position on the board.
- We must have a member present at at least 4 ASEWU meetings in order to be recognized as a club; Steve told Brian that we have met that requirement already this year, but that someone should continue to attend meetings b/c paperwork can get lost.
o We have requested $1700 from them for ASP, but this request has been stalled in their review process, so we still don’t know exactly how much we will be receiving from them.
- Changes are coming to the department:
o Fred will be stepping down as chair at the end of this school year and handing the responsibilities to Dr. Winchell
o We will also be adding two new P/T faculty members
o Dotson is also planning to leave
· Winchell has volunteered to be our advisor.
- It is the role of 2nd year grad students to clean the planning studio and the issue was discussed about all the extra junk around the room.
o Question was raised about who is responsible for all the media pieces lying around the room.
o Also, computers are getting worn out faster than is really necessary – too many printing jobs, people suggested that professors are doing large print jobs in the studio.
o Chris suggested adding and ID card monitor, not to charge people for prints, but merely to monitor who is printing, so we might be able to determine where are the printing is going and how the computer are wearing out so quickly.
o There are also a number of non-working computers – Ben suggested that we have someone shut off the monitors at night b/c those are wearing out faster than the computers themselves.
o Anna mentioned that in order to really make anything happen, we need to have a professor contact the tech guy, Howard.
o Brian suggested we have a technology committee – Jeremy volunteered himself to head that up, Chris offered to help.
- Brian suggested an ASP community project for the group.
o Kelsey and Nate are currently spearheading the community garden project on the Cheney campus. Nate is running the meetings in Cheney to implement a community garden that the cafeteria can utilize for food.
§ We should be expecting a request for labor help and money from the ASP ($500)
- Brian has created multiple media outlets to share and receive information for all students involved in ASP.
o Blog: www.ewuasp.blogspot.com
o Facebook: EWU Association of Student Planners
o Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
o Wikispace: www.ewuasp.wikispaces.com ; (a place to collect stories or information about the program and which Brian hopes can eventually be used in recruitment)
We encourage everyone to check these out.
- Along these same lines, we discussed why it is important to maintain the program for our future careers and future students. Karl suggested that things like the wikispace be connected to the program website on the EWU page b/c Eastern doesn’t do a great job of promoting their program in comparison to schools like UW.
- Ethics Code: why do we have it? Is it really necessary? Is it off-putting to new students?
o It was discussed that the code was originally conceived because of students’ frustration with other student’s lack of commitment to group projects and teachers showing up late to class.
o Many people expressed feelings that it is not our job to police other people – if they show up to class, that is their decision. Plus it was found to be a rather harsh introduction to the ASP when presented at the beginning of the year.
o We decided to drop the code of ethics
- Brian presented the idea of having Winchell’s Strategic Planning class create a strategic plan for the ASP (one was created almost 10 years ago and this could be revised)
o Chris mentioned that they already have a project for their class, so our answer was no.
o Should we create a plan ourselves? Revise the old one?
- We will be holding elections to fills the positions that Will and Chris want to vacate. Dates have not been decided.
- The idea was also discussed about holding meetings simultaneously at the Riverpoint and Cheney campuses through Skype. This was not discussed further.
The meeting was adjourned at 12:45 PM.