The WSDOT Highways and Local Programs Office is seeking a motivated college student to join their team as a summer intern. In this position, you will gain valuable working experience to supplemental your educational goals and help you on the road to career success. The position will perform the following work:
- On a daily basis, transfer hand drawn mapping information into ArchView (sic) School Walk Route template.
- Verify accuracy of map content using Google maps, SR View and other resources as available.
- Communicate with schools, school district, state, regional, city and or county transportation professionals regarding school walk route content.
- Finalize School Walk Route maps as JPG files and email them to school district personnel.
- Document the process and resources used to complete maps in order to create a working trail for review of best practices.
- On occasion, answer questions regarding School Walk Route maps and other Safe Routes to School Program services.
From the manager’s perspective, the ideal intern will:
- Have the ability to import data into GIS software.
- Have familiarity with ArcView version 10 or higher.
- Be able to read and interpret basic hand drawn map information.
- Have experience working with Microsoft Office Suite, email and internet browser programs.
- Be enrolled in a recognized curriculum at a higher education institution and have completed at least one semester/quarter in Geographical Information Systems class work.
Please note: this position is an unpaid internship where the intern will be expected to work between 20-40 hours per week until the end of the summer. Actual schedule and timeframe will be decided upon appointment.
To view the full announcement and to apply online, please visit: GIS School Walk Route Internship (Unpaid)