Sunday, March 6, 2011

My Last Long Speech

Greetings!

As we bring new faces onto the Association of Student Planners board, I want to begin by recognizing the effort provided by the officers of the past two years. The last couple years have been a struggle for university recognition and higher participation in the club's essential functions. These past board members were steadfast in maintaining the organization through significant hardship. If it were not for their commendable activity, this club would simply not exist. Their dedication to the maintenance of the ASP is a credit to themselves, the EWU Urban and Regional Planning Department, and to Eastern Washington University. To each of the past officers and active members, on behalf of the ASP board, I thank you all.

This year's election featured several close races, to which I believe we can all credit the widespread faith we have in each other. Clearly, there's excess talent to go around! I believe that this bodes well for the next year as we have many highly engaged and capable student planners available to lead this club, regardless of titles and, indeed, in spite of them. As a personal favor to me, I ask that you all thank the people who offered themselves to take on the responsibilities of office. Each candidate's willingness to serve you should be recognized and honored, and I am grateful that they will be participating throughout the next year.

Finally, I want to ask you all to give some thought to a question. The ASP is your organization, and there's no question that we want a club which supports our education and future prospects. If we make the right decisions, when we support ASP, we support ourselves. I want to ask each member of the ASP to provide one hour of activity for the ASP each week, ten hours per quarter. But, I can't because I don't know what you want ASP to be. So, here's the question: What would ASP have to be, what should it do, and what must it provide, in order to inspire you to volunteer an hour a week? Please, think about it, and if you want to share (or if you wish to contact me for any reason) my email address is sayrs.brian@eagles.ewu.edu and my phone number is 509-475-5778. I'm here to serve you. Please let me know how.

Thank you for being a member of the Association of Student Planners! I look forward to a great year!

Brian A. Sayrs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please establish your identity with your comment. Comments with anonymous or fictionalized identities will be removed.